Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Recent Buy, June 2016

I <3 Travel Gremlin here to talk about a recent buy.  In about a week from now I leave for Europe, which will be great.  In between now and then a month will end and another will start; I will update my holdings and income in that time frame.  In the meantime things are really busy both at work and elsewhere in preparation for July 4th.  Plus I accepted a new job, which will start in August.  Needless to say, there are loads and loads of things going on so I'm going to make this one short.

Recently the "Brexit" gave a lot investors and banks some serious headaches, and people withdrew their money in a fury.  A bunch of people probably lost money and some folks are probably still running around like the proverbial headless chickens.  Long term investors, I hope you all got the memo and a little more of that pie.

Yesterday I added shares of Abbott Laboratories (ABT), which is a new position in my Roth account.  I bought 13.9 shares at $37.41 / share, with no commission.  The current yield is 2.74% (on current cost).

I am not going to dive to heavily into ABT's history, but suffice to know if you had held them and their spinoffs (like ABBV) since the 1980s, you'd be doing great.  I like their current valuation, which momentarily was made sweeter thanks to the voters in the UK, cheers on that.  ABT also is a healthcare stock, and I am really looking to increase my holdings in that sector

This was a rather small purchase, most of my money is currently busy wiping out debt, planning for Europe, or in my taxable investment account.  That account is going through a name transition due to my marriage stuff, so I decided to do what I could in my Roth at the time being.  So, expect at some point this position to be expanded upon.

What do you think of ABT?

I will update my portfolio page at the end of the month.

- Gremlin
- Long ABT

6 comments:

  1. Great pick up. Love ABT and I hold that as well as ABBV. Both have been on my June and July stock considerations list and for good reason it seems. Both names have been quite popular among many of the DGI bloggers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DH,

    I appreciate the comment, and that we both hold ABT. Let's hope the opportunities hang around a little longer.

    - Gremlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job. I don't own ABT yet, but I want to :-). It seems like I'm out of cash whenever this stock drops in price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. IH,

    I hear that, never enough $ when you want it! Still tons of deals out there though, hopefully a bunch stick around.

    - Gremlin

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is on my watchlist. Do not know when I will pull the plug.
    Knowing what I know now I should have bought it when I looked at it in 2011 but bought other stocks instead.
    https://dividendsandhobbies.wordpress.com

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug,

      It happens, I want to buy more of it right now, and I will before the end of the year. Good luck and thanks for the comment.

      Gremlin

      Delete