Monday, April 30, 2018

April Review / May Preview, 2018

Busy Gremlin here to talk about how my investments performed in April, and what is expected of May.  April was a very solid month for my investments; while many of my coworkers and friends lamented the roll coaster in the stock market, I just smiled and kept collecting cash. I also smile when any jest is made about how inexpensive my lunches are (never really break $1.50 cost except for rare occasion) and that through my bike and the train my commute is free.  Small savings and side cash, are a formula for success.

April also had some work travel for me.  I am not the biggest fan of work travel, as I have done a lot of it over the years and it can be a drag, however I do try to take advantage to save extra cash and see something new.  Last month as part of my travel I wedged in a brewery visit.

April:

This month I made one purchase, buying shares in the Royal Bank of Canada (RY), while selling legacy holdings Pengrowth Energy (PGH) and Willamette Valley Vineyards (WVVI).

Last month I brought in a total of $74.85 in dividends ($65.85 taxable, $9 Roth, and $0 IRA).  This is an increase from last year ($70.94 total) by 5.5%.

In terms of dividend increases, I realized* 5 raises from the Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS), Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC), Coca-Cola (KO), Realty Income, and Walmart.  The increases ranged from 0.2% to about 5.5%.  I have now realized 23 raises thus far this year.

Next month I will realize four raises from the Gap (GPS), Ameriprise Financial (AMP), Kinder Morgan (KMI), and General Dynamics (KMI).  The increases range from 5% to about 60%. For the record KMI raised their dividend 60%, which is clawing back from the 75% cut they had in early 2016.

* I only count increases when realized, because until that money is delivered any statements or declarations are simply conjecture.

May:

The mortgage continues, so at least part of our 'rent' counts towards our house. Our debts currently outstrip our assets (I choose not to count the house as an asset).  Outside of our house, we still have very low interest auto debt (1.9 and 1.5% for our cars).  Both my car and house are receiving slightly out-sized payments monthly.  We are effectively eliminating debt, while still building and assets.  Even on just one income

Hopefully May is a quiet month, but I would not hold my breath.  Nothing gets quiet, slows down, or goes exactly according to plan when you have a baby.  That being said, none of those concerns are a bad thing!

I should have a buy in my IRA, but I might old off until June depending on the market prices and closure of the Dr Pepper Snapple (DPS ) - Keurig / Green Mountain merger.  In addition, I will likely write a quick historical analysis relating the stock market, business cycles, and historical revolutions.  If that sounds weird to read, it felt weirder to type, but it will all wind itself together in a rational sense.

Next month should produce around $270 in dividends, which is a 9.5% YOY increase.

My portfolio page is currently up to date.

Hope everyone has a great March.
- Dividend Gremlin
- Long all stock tickers mentioned (except PGH and WVVI)

No comments:

Post a Comment