Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Q4 2022 Review / Q1 2023 Preview

Gremlin here to discuss 2022. Its been a long year, and in the interest of keeping this brief I will cut to the chase. 2022 was a decent year for my portfolio, but it feels like it hasn't been a good year for the world. So with that said, I'll cut to my portfolio, which has been doing well despite the minimal amount of support I have added to it. 

Q4 2022:

Over the last quarter I added shares of my employer, Avnet (AVT), Interpublic (IPG) Medtronic (MDT), Bank OZK (OZK), Target (TGT), and Verizon (VZ)  in my taxable account. I also added to IPG, Kinder Morgan (KMI), ATT (T), and Ames National Corp (ATLO) in my retirement accounts.

In addition, for 2023 I am officially rolling in two speculative positions that have been providing variable, though useful, dividends. I am including my positions of Gerdau (GGB) and ZIM Shipping (ZIM) as well.

Last quarter I brought in a total of $1,423.29 in dividends ($747.99 taxable, $414.07 Roth, and $261.23 in my IRA).  In closing 2021, the dividend count was 14.5% higher than last year. 

In terms of dividend increases, I realized 14 raises from Black Hills Corp (BKH), McDonald's (MCD), Microsoft (MSFT), MSC Industrial Direct (MSM), Realty Income (O), Starbucks (SBUX), VF Corp (VFC), VZ, Broadcom (AVGO), Matthews International (MATW), JM Smucker's (SJM), Exxon Mobile (XOM), First of Long Island (FLIC), and Emerson Electric (EMR). The increases range from 0.2% to around 10% This brings my total raises to 72 on the year, 11 more than last year's final total.

Next quarter I will realize 12 dividend increases from Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), Amgen (AMGN), CIBC (CM), Eastman Chemical (EMN), Norwood Financial (NWFL), O, OZK, Royal Bank of Canada (RY), Toronto Dominion Bank (TD), Waste Management (WM), Abbott Labs (ABT), and CVS. The increases range from 0.2% to around 10%.

In addition, I added $1000 in profits from options and speculation trading. Going forward this number will be tiny, as I plan to only sell a handful of covered calls for the foreseeable future.

NOTE: I only count increases when realized, because until that money is delivered any statements or declarations are simply conjecture.

Q1 2023:

The mortgage continues and I am putting extra cash towards the principal monthly - not a huge number, but every little bit counts. Our debts currently outstrip our assets, since I do not count my home as an asset until I own it outright.

The buys shall continue until financial independence improves - with monthly rolling buys of course.

My portfolio page is currently up to date.

2022:

  • Invest a total of $8000 across all accounts. Challenge met.
  • Receive $2800 in taxable dividends. Met.
  • Weight, just lose a little of it. Smallest of wins.

All I can say is better than 2021, but barely.

2023:

I only have a few goals for next year, but here they are:

  • Invest a total of $9000 across all accounts.
  • Receive $3800 in taxable dividends.
  • Get in slightly better shape, eat better - so lose a few lbs, workout weekly, and more salads.
I sincerely hope everyone has a better 2023 than 2022.

Hope everyone has a great January, a better 2023, and a Happy New Year!
- Dividend Gremlin
- Long all stock tickers mentioned

No comments:

Post a Comment