Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Recent Buy, October 2018

Phone A Friend Gremlin here to discuss my most recent buy.  Recently a friend of mine got to be on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.  The main shock for me is that someone is still making new episodes of that show.  Having watched him play, I wish he could have done better, but at least he got to have a good time and win some money.  Definitely seems like something worth trying, who knows maybe I will sign up for it too!

Moving on from that earned game show cash, I recently made another stock purchase.  This means I have been able to purchase shares once each of the last four months counting October.  This is the goal, to be able to add capital and increase my bottom line in terms of future taxable income.  I am still relatively early in the process of accumulating a passive dividend income, but still each action is exciting.  Indeed it feels like a game as well, similar to a long haul strategy games such as Civilization, Caesar, or Sim City.  Each new addition provides more cash to buy more shares.  That comparison reminds me that this is a meaningful venture that can also be fun in addition to producing real value.

Last week, I added shares of AT&T (T) in my taxable account.  I bought 30 shares, with a total cost of $1,027.51 ($34 / share, includes commission).  The current yield is 5.95%. For a detailed summary of their history, etc. please visit: T's Seeking Alpha Profile.

I already own T in my Roth account and Verizon (VZ) in my IRA.  I like that T will be a fully integrated communications company.  The future of both companies, despite current debt and headwinds, is promising.  People just rely on these entities more than they realize, and that reliance will only grow over time.  I work hard on a personal level to disconnect, but even for someone who works at it - it is hard.  Most people are plugged in all the time (if you are here reading this, think about how and why), and they don't even realize how dialed in they are.

Also being plugged into the FIRE movement (online, because where else?), we know how to cut these bills - but most still don't and even then most cut rate companies pay royalties or in some cases are outright owned by the big players.  Also the issue of spectrum ownership will be a huge issue within a few decades, and that will be interesting to witness.

This purchase will add $60 to my forward 12 month dividend income.

I will update my portfolio page at the end of the month.

What do you think of T?

- Gremlin
- Long T and VZ

No comments:

Post a Comment