Monday, October 1, 2018

September Review, October Preview, 2018

No Free Weekends Gremlin here to talk about September with an eye on October.  Just when it seems life might slow down a little bit, it speeds right back up.  When I was younger that was not a problem, and in terms of being able to handle it all, it still isn't.  However, with investing and thinking about expenditures, while maintaining your sanity can be a serious challenge considering all the other stuff that is happening.  In the meantime, the focus is on baby proofing the house - as the little guy has figured out how to move and stand.  At least he has not figured out how to talk back yet!

Getting on with the show, this month I came up just under $400, which is unfortunate.  Dividend growth is starting to kick itself into gear, and so my future totals should start to punch above their weight class.

September:

This month I made one new purchase adding a new, acquiring shares of Broadcom (AVGO) in my Roth portfolio and acquiring shares of Cardinal Health (CAH) in my taxable portfolio.

Last month I brought in a total of $397.50 in dividends ($158.09 taxable, $94.85 Roth, and $144.65 IRA).  This is an increase from last year (319.66 total) by 24.38%.  Almost got that $400 I wanted, I will definitely get it in December.

In terms of dividend increases, I realized* six raises from Hershey's (HSY), Kellogg's (K), Target (TGT), Discover (DFS), J.M. Smuckers (SJM), and Westlake Chemical (WLK).  The increases are from 4% to about 19%.  I have now realized 43 raises thus far this year.

Next month I will realize three raises from Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS), Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CM), and Realty Income (O).  The increases are from about 0.2% to about 3%.

* I only count increases when realized, because until that money is delivered any statements or declarations are simply conjecture.

October:

The mortgage continues has started to see more cash flowing towards the principal - not a huge number, but every little bit counts. Our debts currently outstrip our assets (I choose not to count the house as an asset).  Outside of our house, we still have very low interest auto debt (1.9 and 1.5% for our cars).  My car is getting paid at double time, and I suspect I can finish it off within 10 months from now - which will be nice because I plan on keeping that car for 20 years.  Debt is being eliminated, and we are still building and assets.  A second income goes a long way.

September was a busy month, and October looks like it will be more of the same.  Life should hopefully slow down in November.  My next purchase should be in October, but might be in November if things go less than as planned.

Next month should produce around $87 in dividends, which is a 28% YOY increase.

My portfolio page is currently up to date.

Hope everyone has a great October.
- Dividend Gremlin
- Long all stock tickers mentioned

6 comments:

  1. Doing well on all fronts. Nice total for the month of Sept., plenty of dividend raises to enjoy, a couple nice purchases too and your mortgage pay off is making progress. Looks like your dividend portfolios and general finances are on the right track. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith,

      Thanks for the comment! I agree process is being made on all fronts, and hopefully that starts to snowball in the next few years.

      - Gremlin

      Delete
  2. Very nice month Gremlin! It has to be a lot of fun baby proofing the house and watching the little one grow. It may be a pain to do, but I imagine it being a fun challenge and trial/error exercise!

    Bert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bert,

      Thanks for the comment! Baby proofing is as much fun as it sounds, but necessary for some things - though he still tries to get the dog's food...

      - Gremlin

      Delete
  3. Hey Gremlin,
    Great month and so close to $400! Oh well, let's wait until December when I am sure you will crush the number :)
    I will need to baby proof my home as well at some point but still have some time - my baby-girl is only 2.5 weeks old :D
    Keep it up!
    BI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BI,

      Thanks for the comment and congrats on the baby! They seem like a lot of work, but they get more busy and you get more tired - but you got time on the baby proofing.

      December will definitely see 400 get crushed,
      - Gremlin

      Delete