Saturday, October 3, 2020

September Review / Q4 Preview 2020

Back Home Gremlin here to talk about September and the path forward.  It has been a long time since I've been home and still am working to find my feet.  The world seems to be, amazingly, in a weirder state than when we first traveled for my daughter's surgery.  I certainly did not expect it to go that way, but here we are (its like humanity never learns, same with the market). Investment wise I eliminated two laggard/mediocre positions and increased some that are better geared for my goals.  In addition, I have a small pot of play money I am using for trading - which I view as a small amount of resources to look for big returns.

The situation for everyone is likely vastly different than it was 7 or so months ago, and I am no exception.  My daughter will require more attentive care while at home until her next major surgery early next year.  That is on top of the usual work - parent of young children life balance problems that I (and a lot of others) share. Because of these facts I am going to only post an update for next quarter and my end of year closeout this year. Going forward I will probably stick to quarterly updates.  Portfolio wise I hope to provide an update for August and September combined, and for Q4 I will combine all of my portfolio / dividend updates in one place.  For the record, my Q1-Q4 will line with the calendar.

September:

This month I added shares to 11 positions in my accounts.

Last month I brought in a total of $497.29 in dividends ($211.21 taxable, $125.36 Roth, and $160.72 in my IRA).  This is an increase from last year ($436.5 total) by 13.9%.

In terms of dividend increases, I realized 6 dividend increases from Hershey's (HSY), Kroger (KR), Target (TGT), Smuckers (SJM), Walgreens (WBA), Westlake Chemical (WLK), and Essential Utilities (WTRG). This keep my total amount of raises to 39 for 2020.

Next month I will realize 2 dividend increases from Realty Income (O) and the First of Long Island Corp (FLIC).  The increases range from 0.2% to 5.5%.  My fund also experienced a 1 to 4 split from Apple (AAPL).

My fund has absorbed the following cuts or suspensions this year: Disney (DIS) [sold], Dunkin Brands (DNKN) [sold], the Gap (GPS) [sold], YUM China (YUMC) [sold], Kontoor Brands (KTB) [sold], WestRock (WRK) [sold], and Welltower (WELL) [hold]. In addition, I have eliminated Kellogg's (K) and Keurig Dr Pepper (KDP) - my simple reasoning here is these companies should have had excellent years and have been mediocre.

NOTE: I only count increases when realized, because until that money is delivered any statements or declarations are simply conjecture.

Q4:

The mortgage continues and I am putting extra cash towards the principal monthly - not a huge number, but every little bit counts. Our debts currently outstrip our assets, because I consider our house a liability and NOT an asset.

I will continue to make rolling purchases going forward, and I will supplementing with minor trading - separate from my primary portfolio.

My portfolio page will be updated soon.

Hope everyone has a chance to relax a little.
- Dividend Gremlin
- Long all stock tickers, minus those sold

No comments:

Post a Comment