Sunday, August 30, 2020

August Review / September Preview 2020

Game Time Gremlin here to discuss August and look at September. It has been a long year for a lot of reasons, but it would appear a few of the big what ifs are finally coming to a close.  First, after over a month of recovery looks like it is almost time to take our daughter home.  She has recovered from surgery - but we will be back in several months for another surgery to complete her heart repair.  As an aside, if you know any families who have to go through pediatric heart surgery - just know its a tough journey and that any support is always appreciated.  

Second, the election season is almost here.  I wish we had a shorter election season and I will be glad when ours is done.  Finally, the election should add some spice / volatility into the market so we can get some quality stocks on sale.  Anyways, how did we do?

August:

This month I added shares to 7 positions in my accounts, and my update will published in about a week.

Last month I brought in a total of $361.75 in dividends ($136.84 taxable, $109.61 Roth, and $115.30 in my IRA).  This is an increase from last year ($338.97 total) by 6.7%.

In terms of dividend increases, I realized no dividend increases in August. This keep my total amount of raises to 33 for 2020.

Next month I will realize 6 dividend increases from Hershey's (HSY), Kroger (KR), National Retail Properties (NNN), Target (TGT), Smuckers (SJM), Walgreens (WBA), and Essential Utilities (WTRG).  The increases range from 1% to 7%.

My fund has absorbed the following cuts or suspensions this year: Disney (DIS) [sold], Dunkin Brands (DNKN) [sold], the Gap (GPS) [sold], YUM China (YUMC) [sold], Kontoor Brands (KTB) [sold], WestRock (WRK) [hold], and Welltower (WELL) [hold].

NOTE: I only count increases when realized, because until that money is delivered any statements or declarations are simply conjecture.

August:

The mortgage continues and I am putting extra cash towards the principal monthly - not a huge number, but every little bit counts. Our debts currently outstrip our assets, because I consider our house a liability and NOT an asset.

I will continue to make rolling purchases going forward, and I will begin minor supplementing with options.

Next month should produce around $505 in dividends, which is a 15% YOY increase.

My portfolio page is currently up to date.

Hope everyone has a calm September (like that will happen...).
- Dividend Gremlin
- Long all stock tickers, minus those sold

1 comment:

  1. Gremlin,

    I am sorry I haven't commented earlier. I hope all is going well with your daughter and she is doing okay after the surgeries. We will be thinking of you and your family. That's what most important and what it is all about.

    Bert

    ReplyDelete