Monday, September 19, 2016

Recent Buys, Sept. 2016

Retirement Gremlin here to talk about some recent buys.  In the last few months I switched jobs, which freed up my old 401k money, which was promptly deposited into a new IRA with my broker.  I am contemplating moving some of the money to my Roth IRA via the backdoor conversion process, but a big slice of the money was going to be invested right away.  So last week I watched the market like a hawk, especially since it seems to be in a weird mood where it goes up on one day and down on the next.  No point in timing the market, but if a few dollars can be saved up front that will work.  If every dollar can be stretched out to provide a few more pennies, well then that could add up to a significant long term amount of money.  So just be aware these purchases were all made when stocks were generally trending downward for that day.

Anyways, there will be no individual listing about these stocks that now comprise the core of my new IRA.  These are all stalwarts; of the six stock purchases I made five are Dividend Champions and the other one is a Contender.  Some of them do share sectors, but none of them entirely share industries (though their is crossover).  Of the six, three are generally viewed as industrial.  The others are one in each of these spaces - consumer staples, healthcare, and telecommunications.  Enough blabbering here are the stocks purchased.

Thanks to My Dividend Pipeline for the idea of using screenshots for posting buys; I like it for big moves.
As you can see these are all big players in their respective industries.  My goal is to make this a very strong defensive account that will be ready and waiting for future 401k capture.  As noted above a decent amount of money is still available in this account.  The question becomes do I move it to my Roth after a time or invest it right away.  For now what is most important is knowing that my retirement is in my hands exclusively - and that is a freedom that is totally worth it.

Thanks for reading,
Gremlin
Long all stocks above.

6 comments:

  1. Gremlin,

    Badass group of business there! I really love the strong moves you made! Super inspirational!!

    MDP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MDP,

      Thanks for the comment. Its nice to be able to make those moves, even if its with retirement money. I find these moves to be way better than any dividend index fund!

      -Gremlin

      Delete
  2. Agree with MDP....that's a hell of a group of companies. I love all of those companies and own 4 of them myself. Love your no nonsense purchases. Man you aren't messing around!

    Bert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bert,

      I agree it is a solid group. No messing around with retirement indeed! Thanks for the comment.

      -Gremlin

      Delete
  3. What can I say, except that you picked some super solid names, almost all of which are in my portfolio. As you mentioned, "These are all stalwarts" 'Nuff said! GD looks like an interesting pick. I have been looking at some defensive names and added LMT to my watch list but I think GD might be a better fit. Great update. Thanks for sharing and putting some good dollars to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH,

      Thanks for the comment. I had looked at LMT too, but I felt GD is at a better valuation with more room to grow its payout. Though in the long run, I would like to own both. Several months ago I must admit I thought NOC and LMT were both better values than GD - then those prices ran away too fast and GD became the better deal. Who knows, maybe in a few years I'll own them all.

      -Gremlin

      Delete