Thursday, November 30, 2017

November Review / December Preview, 2017

Turkey Trot Gremlin here to discuss November.  As we speak it is high time for the holidays; the Turkey Festival of Winter Fattening is in the rear view mirror and the Big Red Suit Display Case is on the horizon.  This means getting gifts for my nieces / nephews and seeing the family for a second time (or 1st if I missed them prior).  Hockey is now in full swing (though sadly the Olympics will be a bit short on that end), football is winding down.  It is a great time of year.  Time to be frugal and continue to workout without using a gym, make lunches for under $2 every day, and generally skimp on unneeded luxuries.  Having a kid helps out with this a lot.  This is the last month of 2017 coming up, and I view it as a strong springboard into an even better 2018.

November:

This month I made no new purchases.

Last month I brought in a total of $240.04 in dividends ($36.25 taxable, $58.34 Roth, and $145.45 IRA).  This is an increase from last year ($235.86 total) by 1.8%.  Affecting this change were several stocks moving their payment to December including Discover (DFS), and some companies such as Dunkin Brands (DNKN) not paying out early like they did last year in November.

In terms of dividend increases, I realized* three this month from from American Express (AXP), Omega Healthcare (OHI), and Verizon (VZ).  The raises range from 1.6% to 9%.  Thus far for 2017, I have realized 44 dividend increases!

Next month I will realize six raises from McDonald's (MCD), Microsoft (MSFT), Starbucks (SBX), Union Pacific (UNP), VF Corp (VFC), and Emerson Electric (EMR).  The increases range from 1.3% to 20% - most being in the 6-10% range.  This will propel me to a total of 50 increases, 1 initiation, and 1 cut I discussed earlier this month.

* I only count increases when realized, because until that money is delivered any statements or declarations are simply conjecture.  

December:

The mortgage continues, so at least part of our 'rent' counts towards our house. Our debts currently outstrip our assets.  Outside of our house, we still have very low interest auto debt (1.9 and 1.5% for our cars).  Both my car and house are receiving slightly out-sized payments monthly.  We are effectively eliminating debt, while still building and assets.  Even with a new Gremlin in the lair. This is a long game, and I am nothing if not patient.

I should be making a buy in December, unless the Mr. Market goes bonkers.

Next month should produce around $348 in dividends, which is a 32% YOY increase.  I anticipate ending the year with a YOY increase of 75%, thanks mainly to my new IRA holdings.

My portfolio page is currently up to date.

Hope everyone has a great November.
- Dividend Gremlin
- Long all stock tickers mentioned

3 comments:

  1. Not a huge increase y/y but anything above 0% is solid especially since the growth would have been higher if the timing worked in your favor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TitM,

      Thanks for the comment. I agree beating 0% is always preferred, but it is annoying to see payout months shift. Oh well, it all goes to the same place in the end.

      - Gremlin

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete