Thursday, August 2, 2018

July Review / August Preview, 2018

Beach Gremlin here to talk about July and ponder about August.  Its that time of year again, beach time - to be fair I did not get any beach time in last year.  In a few days I head off to a warm sunny place to catch up on work inside, get some long runs in, cook a few huge dinners, and maybe get some sand around my feet (I can work from anywhere so I save time off when I can for use when I really need / want it).  Life will take on a huge new flavor this month as my wife returns to work.  I know she is in some ways ready, but in many ways it is hard to leave your child for any extended period of time.  At least her job will keep her close to him, and he will be with family.

In addition, we will no longer just have 1 income.  This means that debt will be slashed faster, savings will rebound, and investments will be made.  The remainder of this year will be strong.

July:

This month I made one new purchase, acquiring shares of Kraft Heinz (KHC) in my taxable portfolio.

Last month I brought in a total of $81.72 in dividends ($62.22 taxable, $9.50 Roth, and $10.00 IRA).  This is an increase from last year (73.19 total) by 11.6%.

In terms of dividend increases, I realized* two raises from Realty Income (O) and Leggett & Platt (LEG).  The increases are 0.2% to about 5%, respectively.  I have now realized 34 raises thus far this year.

Next month I will realize three raises from Bank of Montreal (BMO), Starbucks (SBUX), and John Deere (DE).  The increases are from 3% to about 20%.

* I only count increases when realized, because until that money is delivered any statements or declarations are simply conjecture.

August:

The mortgage continues, so at least part of our 'rent' counts towards our house. Our debts currently outstrip our assets (I choose not to count the house as an asset).  Outside of our house, we still have very low interest auto debt (1.9 and 1.5% for our cars).  Both my car and house are receiving slightly out-sized payments monthly.  We are effectively eliminating debt, while still building and assets.  Even on just one income (for now).

August has family beach time.  I will be semi working while at the beach as to preserve some of my paid time off.  Likely my next buy will be in August too as my accounts will begin to transition from Capital One to E-Trade, which means my fractional shares will be sold.  That capital along with existing funds should allow me to make some more purchases.  Its fine by me, since I prefer round numbers anyway!

Next month should produce around $269 in dividends, which is a 12% YOY increase.

My portfolio page is currently up to date.

Hope everyone has a great August.
- Dividend Gremlin
- Long all stock tickers mentioned

4 comments:

  1. Gremlin,

    AS always, great results! It was awesome receiving the dividend increases from O and LEG this month. Although, this was technically the first every dividend I received from LEG, so it was a large increase compared to last year :)

    Bert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bert,

      Thanks for the comment. Increases are the best indeed!

      - Gremlin

      Delete
  2. Summer rolling on and the dividends and raises keep coming in. Nice pick up of KHC. I know many don't like the staples but I still do. LEG was a stock I considered a long, long time ago but never pulled the trigger. I like the business and it seems AMZN proof for now. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH,

      I hear you on KHC, not always getting a lot of love. Thanks for the comment.

      - Gremlin

      Delete