Friday, November 30, 2018

November Review / December Preview, 2018

Cold Air Gremlin here to talk about last and next months.  In the DC area it has been fairly cold recently, skipping fall and heading straight into winter.  As I just got over a cold, this has made running and biking outside a lot more interesting - and disgusting according to my wife.  Still its good to stay in shape, and I enjoy leaving the parking lot at the train station on my bike, getting out of there long before those in the car lines even exit the parking deck.  Speaking of sports, having a 1 year old is a real lesson in not being able to keep up with the news and current events.  Ironically, it does not feel like I have missed anything - and it is always easy to get back into something if I choose to.  This appears to be a year for that, at least because my Eagles are trying real hard to take a year off and not make the playoffs.

In terms of investing, this has been another good month.  All of my accounts have already surpassed their dividend output of last year, so next month will be a real profit maker.  Looking even further down the line, next year will even bigger, I cannot wait to push harder for FI that I have before.

November:

This month I made one purchase, acquiring shares of Eastman Chemical (EMN) in my taxable portfolio.

Last month I brought in a total of $294.85 in dividends ($82.22 taxable, $63.75 Roth, and $148.88 IRA).  This is an increase from last year (240.04 total) by 22.8%.

In terms of dividend increases, I realized* three raises from American Express (AXP), Royal Bank Canada (RY), and Verizon (VZ).  The increases are from 2% to about 11%.  I have now realized 46 raises thus far this year.

Next month I will realize five raises from McDonald's (MCD), Microsoft (MSFT), VF Corp (VFC), YUM China (YUMC), and Emerson Electric (EMR).  The increases are from about 1.5% to about 16% (all but EMR are higher than 9%).

* I only count increases when realized, because until that money is delivered any statements or declarations are simply conjecture.

December:

The mortgage continues has started to see more cash flowing towards the principal - not a huge number, but every little bit counts. Our debts currently outstrip our assets (I choose not to count the house as an asset).  Outside of our house, we still have very low interest auto debt (1.9 and 1.5% for our cars).  My car is getting paid at doublish time, and I suspect I can finish it off within 9 months from now - which will be nice because I plan on keeping that car for 20 years.  Debt is being eliminated, and we are still building and assets.  A second income goes a long way.

My next purchase will be in December, which makes for 6 consecutive months of buys going back to July (sweet).

Next month should produce around $400 in dividends, which is a 14% YOY increase.

My portfolio page is currently up to date.

Hope everyone has a great December.
- Dividend Gremlin
- Long all stock tickers mentioned

7 comments:

  1. Love seeing that you managed so many months of consecutive buys. Do what you can to stay in the game and consistent with your buying. Can't believe 2018 is coming to an end in a few weeks. Look forward to seeing what you pick up in Dec. Great Nov. income as well with that double digit year over year gain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith,

      I love seeing that too! It is crazy to think 2018 is almost over. In some ways having a kid makes it go faster, in other ways slower. Here is to a sweet 2019!

      - Gremlin

      Delete
  2. Hey Gremlin,
    Great job with the +22% increase YOY on your dividend income. What's most impressive are the 46 dividend increases... it just shows how consistent and reliable the DGI strategy really is!
    Looking forward to hearing about next month as well.
    Take care,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ryan / GRB,

      Thanks for the comment! I hear you, 46, and the year is not even over. Should be around 58 by the end of the year (more than last year even with WELL and OHI freezing their divs for the year). It is truly amazing how they start doing the work for you!

      - Gremlin

      Delete
  3. This has been another excellent month Gremlin. I love the growth rate. I can't imagine riding my bike in the cold, so kudos for you for toughing through it haha The eagles have been interesting this year. Very inconsistent, but the talent is there. The Super Bowl hangover is real haha My Browns have been much more exciting this year; however, they were served a nice dose of humble pie this week against the Texans.

    On another note, I'll have to pick your brain about how to keep costs down for babies one of these days :)

    Bert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bert,

      Thanks for the comment. You get used to the cold and just prep for it - its not even that cold here relative to say Canada. The Eagles and Browns are both looking like they might want to brush up on their golf games at this rate!

      With kids the answers are probably "we don't need that" and or "no we can't make it, we have a baby..."

      - Gremlin

      Delete
  4. Nice pick up — Eastman wasn’t on my radar so now I’ll go check it out.

    ReplyDelete