Friday, January 28, 2022

Q4 2021 Review / Q1 2022 Preview

Sleepy Gremlin here to screen a preview into the next year and quarter. 2021 was a weird year. I like history a lot, and I believe the 2020-2022 years will go down as some of the weirdest and or most influential in a long time. Simply a neutral perspective, big events lead to big consequences. Bigger events in the USA probably haven't been seen since 9/11 or the end of the USSR. However, I digress.

The market has mirrored this year, it makes sense, then it doesn't. The future is here, except its not or its not making any money at all. Dividends are launching into space, so are stocks of companies that maybe have seen better days. It is a great reminder of how unpredictable the market and world can be, and how steady these dividend churners are. So lets look at Q4 from a dividend perspective. 

Q4 2021:

Over the last quarter I added shares of my employer, Pepsico (PEP), and Starbucks (SBUX) in my taxable account. I also added to Cisco (CSCO), Corning (GLW), Kraft Heinz (KHC), and Portland General Electric (POR) in my retirement accounts.

Last quarter I brought in a total of $1,243.54 in dividends ($610.54 taxable, $324.32 Roth, and $308.68 in my IRA).  In closing 2021, the dividend count was 5.26% higher than last year. 

In terms of dividend increases, I realized 15 raises from Black Hills Corp (BKH), McDonald's (MCD), Microsoft (MSFR), Realty Income (O) x2, SBUX, South Jersey Industries (SJI), Union Pacific (UNP), VF Corp (VFC), Broadcom (AVGO), Deere (DE), Matthew's International (MATW), Exxon Mobil (XOM), Emerson Electric (EMR), and Verizon (VZ). The increases range from just about 1% to more than 15%. This brings my total raises to 61 on the year, 11 less than last year's final total.

Next quarter I will realize 17 dividend increases from Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), Amgen (AMGN), Bank of Montreal (BMO), Scotiabank (BNS), My Employer (B**), CIBC (CM), Eastman Chemical (EMN), Norwood Financial (NWFL), O, Royal Bank of Canada (RY), Toronto Dominion Bank (TD), Waste Management (WM), Union Pacific (UNP), Arrow Financial (AROW), Abbott Labs (ABT), Kimberly Clark (KMB), and CVS.  The increases range from 0.2% to around 25%.

In addition, I added $1500 in profits from options and speculation trading.  I am decreasing my risk taking appetite heading into 2022. 2020 and 2021 were positive years, but I am committing only to a smaller speculation portion going forward until at least 2023 for a variety of personal reasons.

NOTE: I only count increases when realized, because until that money is delivered any statements or declarations are simply conjecture.

Q1 2022:

The mortgage continues and I am putting extra cash towards the principal monthly - not a huge number, but every little bit counts. Our debts currently outstrip our assets, since I do not count my home as an asset until I own it outright.

The buys shall continue until financial independence improves - with monthly rolling buys of course.

My portfolio page is currently up to date.

2021:

  • Invest a total of $11000 across all accounts. Made it 3/4 of the way, not mad just my reality.
  • Receive $2200 in taxable dividends and $1500 in speculative cash. Success.
  • Weight, get back to my regular weight (lose the Covid 15). Utter failure, try again dude.

Last year I ended with this phrase "I have a feeling, no matter what happens 2020 will be another wild ride." Holy crap, I did not realize how right I was.  Well hopefully 2021 is a little less wild.

2022:

I only have a few goals for next year, but here they are:

  • Invest a total of $8000 across all accounts.
  • Receive $2800 in taxable dividends .
  • Weight, just lose a little of it.
I sincerely hope everyone has a better 2022 than 2021.  That said the it is always darkest just before the dawn and so go into 2021 as mentally, financially, and physically prepared as you can.

Hope everyone has a great January, a better 2021, and a Happy New Year!
- Dividend Gremlin
- Long all stock tickers mentioned

No comments:

Post a Comment